I’m back today with another creative way to share your product photography with potential customers (see Creative Way #1 here).
Creative Way #2 – Fotobabble
Fotobabble is a tool that allows users to add up to 60 seconds of audio to a photograph. What a great way to share your product photography with a creative twist! Bring your product photo to life by allowing people to hear your voice while they view your image. A Fotobabble takes just minutes to create, and you have the option to share the finished product on dozens of social media outlets.
I’ve created a sample Fotobabble here (if you are reading this post via an RSS reader, click here to view the Fotobabble):
Now that you’ve seen an example, how can you create a Fotobabble for your product photo(s)? Here’s how:
Sign up for a free Fotobabble account
Head to fotobabble.com and sign up.
Upload the product photo that you want to feature in the Fotobabble.
Choose an image that represents you and your handmade business. What is your “signature photo”? Which image do you use for your Etsy avatar? Create a Fotobabble with that image.
Another option is to create a Fotobabble for each of your products and then pin them to a Pinterest board.
* Note: Especially for product photography, I’d recommend watermarking your image in some way so that folks who come across your Fotobabble will immediately associate the photo with your shop name. Use the photo’s white space to add your watermark. Also, keep in mind that the Fotobabble player icon appears in the middle of the image, so you might want to add the watermark off-center or at the bottom.
Record your audio.
To create a Fotobabble, you will need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player installed on your computer. A message will pop up asking you to Allow or Deny access to your computer’s microphone (I use a USB-powered Logitech headset microphone). Click Allow.
Click the Record button and capture the audio. If you make a mistake during the recording, just click Stop and then Record again. The recording will not be final until you click the Save button.
Here are some ideas about what to say during your Fotobabble recording:
- Read your product description. You’ve spent time writing a description that convinces customers to buy. Share it audibly with your audience!
- Answer FAQs about your product. Answer questions that customers might ask or that previous customers have asked.
- Talk about your inspiration for the product. Why did you create it? Who do you hope to help with your product?
- Read a testimonial from a previous customer. You could get this testimonial wording from Etsy feedback or from an email from a satisfied customer. It might be a good idea to ask the testimonial-giver’s permission first.
Add a few SEO-friendly details and save your Fotobabble.
Give your Fotobabble a title. Set your Fotobabble as Private or Public. Private Fotobabbles will be visible to only those people you share them with. Public Fotobabbles will be visible (searchable) on the site. Use keywords to help potential customers find your Fotobabble in search results.
Add some tags that apply to the product. Use the same tags that you use on Etsy if you’d like.
Share your Fotobabble.
Here are just a few ideas . . .
- Click the “Share” button and choose from dozens of social media outlets. Consider the audience that will best receive your Fotobabble.
- Copy and paste the Embed code and share the Fotobabble on your blog. If your blog post includes how-to photos of a process, you could share the finished product photo in your Fotobabble.
- Share your Fotobabble on the Facebook fan page for your business. Facebook would be a great place to share a Fotobabble about an upcoming sale or new product launch!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Creating a Fotobabble is simple, quick, and fun! I highly recommend it for those who want another creative way to share your product photography!
Stay tuned for part 3 of this post series.